Little help needed

Hi,

I just need a little help. I want the erosion effects to be strong from the top of the mountain and down to about
the middle. From there I’d like it to start fading out or not be so strong if that make any sense. Anyone who can help
me with this?

I’ve added a image below and it is from the line and down I want the erosions to start fade out.

Hi there,

Luckily this is pretty easy to do!

Create a Height selector and hook its input up to your terrain BEFORE the erosion. Then, hook its output into the Erosion mask input.

If you then go into the height selector, the erosion device will only produce an effect in the height range you’ve selected – so set the Top of the range to the maximum elevation, the bottom to the elevation on the mountain you want to have the erosion start fading out, and then the fade power to control how sharp/soft the transition is.

Hi Stephen,

Like you said… this was pretty easy to do. However, it also got me in to some new problems. The terrain is built with
the “layout generator” so when the erosion effect fade out it looks very strange and unnatural. I think it would be better
if I could just smooth out the erosion effect or the terrain from the height I have chosen, but I cant figure out how to do this.
I’ve tried, but with no luck. I’m pretty sure something has to be connected after the erosion devise this time, but I have no clue.

Regards,
Terje

A good alternate solution then would be to still use the height selector, but change its input to the output of your erosion device, and change the sliders or just check the “Invert selection” box – so that you are selecting the bottom part of the terrain.

Then as you say, a new device after the erosion may be the ticket. I think your best candidates are the Thermal Erosion device (set the Rock Angle to a low value), or another erosion device with different settings (perhaps Simple Filtered erosion with no channeling). Try the thermal erosion first and turn the strength up and the rock angle down.

You should get a nice transition into soft terrain features that still have been processed by erosion to look more natural.

Eh… I’ve tried what you said and other things, but I just keep getting some crazy results. It’s probably
a very easy thing to do, but I just cant figure it out. Would you mind take a look at the tmd. file I’ve attached?

Is this anything like what you have in mind?

Note that I used 2.3 beta-2 to create this so it may not open in 2.2.

Awesome! This is exactly what I wanted.
Thank you Stephen. I appreciate you taking the time for this and I can now see what I did wrong :wink: