Minor GUI issues

Just downloaded the basic version and it looks quite nice (but I didn’t actually do much terraining yet).

There is a very old thread called “GUI bug” describing a tooltip problem (tooltip text displayed is always one step too old, size is correct). Just wanted to say that the problem still exists in the current version. The suggestion to disable hardware acceleration on the graphics adapter worked, but is not really the best thing to do. Using XP with a GeForce FX 5200.

May I ask what kind of odd-ball GUI library you are using for this app :smiley:

Hmm, disabled sliders seem to look more or less like active sliders. Sounds like QT. But not quite?

Also, I think it is unnecessary to disable the toolbar buttons just because the sidebar gets focus,
as long as the device workview is visible. BTW, the disabled toolbar buttons look rather strange.
Furthermore, when you click on a device, the button should remain pressed or otherwise marked
as selected (after all, it determines the effect of the next “+” actions in the workview)

Aestethically, it would be more pleasing if the two frames below the preview window in the sidebar
were of the same width as the lower frames. Functionally, resizing the sidebar is currently not very
useful. It would be nice if the size of the preview window would scale to use the maximum unused
space in the sidebar.

Well, you did lately blog that it is satisfying “to make rapid and daily progress” on user interface issues 8)

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback! As to odd-ball UI library used: Microsoft’s own MFC. Which, actually, I would happen to agree with you on regarding its quirks. :slight_smile:

The toolbar tooltip problem is extremely odd, and I’m not sure what’s causing it. I can’t replicate it for the life of me, and the tooltip handling is actually done within the MFC toolbar class so to fix the problem will require digging into framwork code that’s not mine and seeing what kind of fix is possible. The sidebar isn’t really meant to be resized, and should be prevented from being grabbed – definitely something to-do.

I definitely agree regarding having the toolbar buttons remain depressed until you leave add-device mode – good idea.