Since my last WIP post has been locked due to me abandoning the project, I have decided to make another! This time it is already finished though.
The inspiration this time was still the alps, more specificalle Mt Blanc.
I have kept the Workflow mostly the same but this time a bit more cleaner.
- I started with creating the base shape of the mountain, roughned it up and distorted it to make it look not as perfectly roundish. After that I created some peaks with some voronoi devices and distorted them to look more natural.
- Then I used a create water device to get just a few tributaries by feeding high values from a select height into the precipitation input and used that information to carve out some very rough valley (forgot what the actual term form them is) to get that ridgey look for the mountains.
- Next up was the other side of the Mountains and for that I basically used the same method as for step 1 except that I knew that this was the side of the camera in UE5 and didn´t need to be that detailed.
So, base shape → distortion → voronoi → distortion
- Here, pretty much all I did was use some voronoi and distortion again, to get these spikey peaks on the left of the main mountain.
This is just a small detail, but I tried to recreate the peaks to the left of Mt Blanc.
This is the step where I tried to fix any issues caused by some flow restructure devices and other small little things here and there.
I then had to form the valley by simply elevating the lower parts of the land and subtracting a couple tributaries again and finishing it off with a river. I also added a bit of noise to the mostly flat parts of the valley just to make it a bit more interesting.
Afterwards I also ran a erosion device and some strata over the map, but its too simple to deserve a seperate step The only thing somewhat interesting is that I used a tributary mask for the erosion input.
- Here I began texturing the mountain to get an idea of what it will look like in the end. The process was pritty simple since it was just for an idea.
Basically I used HYLKS snowmelt device for the snow and used the previously generated masks to paint in the erosion flow and talus. I also added in the gradient for the grass.
From here on, everything is in engine and I will therefore keep it as simple as possible and without pictures.
I downloaded a couple Megascan textures and created a simple Landscape Material that blends with an angle. It also creates that gradient effect for the grass based on height. other than that, all the remaining textures were simply weight blended.
After the material, I also downloaded some Assets and imported the MAWI Coniferous Forest Pack trees.
I only used the trees because I wanted to create a biome mostly using Megascans.
For this part I used a plugin called ErrantBiomes which allows to create procedural biomes. Its inspired by the FarCry 5 GDC talk.
Since this was supposed to be a procedural Biome, it took me quite a bit to figure out how to do something like that. It also cost me a few unsaved crashes…
Then the only thing left were the scenes for the camera shots and the lighting.
Im definitely not a lighting artist, nor am I trying to be one (I still want to get better at it and appreciate any feedback ).
And after all that, here is the end product:
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this may be helpful to some. I would allso really appreciate a bit of feedback and some tips!
If you want me to go more into detail I can do so either in the comments or edit the post afterwards.
Thanks for reading!