Multi res support

Hi Stephen, with the multi res support is it possible to do the following:

Import and store a terrain render extent at higher res than the surrounding terrain? In other words import high res terrain.

With a higher res terrain patch, export it and the surrounding lower res terrain as one single terrain at the lower res. So basically resample the high res and merge into the surrounding?

It’d be useful if I could set up a render extent, export that, model it at higher res elsewhere, reimport it back to the same extent but at higher res. Is this possible?

Did you implement the scale imported layout devices to new world extents? I’m still using 2.3.1 here…

Ta,
monks

Hi monks,

If I understand you correctly, sure – this should in fact be possible even without the dev branch:

You have two render extents, A and B – A is a larger area that encloses B. You can create and export region B to a file.

Then you modify your world to look like the below – your world creation occurs in the “Basic World Creation” box below.

The file input device imports your high res terrain, but only to the level needed by your larger (coarser) world extent. The file input extents are the same as render extent B.
The chooser blends it into the area outside the high res file using the mask output of the file input.

Lastly, the pullup is there so that, if the file doesn’t exist (making the file input and chooser fail to build), the world will simply use the regular world instead of your high res file.

see also this thread for an example using tiled terrain:

That’s awesome, thanks! I had a problem but I’ve just edited it out in this post since I solved it.

monks