My First Macro

Planet Noise Scape 1

My very first World Machine Macro done with version 1.0 Stnd.
Not much to do with it but it is my first afterall… enjoy… there are better ones on the way… :slight_smile:

http://terranuts.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=259

Sethren

Hi Sethren,

I went to take a look but I’m getting a bad file link at that URL. FYI.

Cheers,

Oh darn… i forgot you have to sign up at Terranuts in order to download the file… :frowning: i am so sorry about that… it is the only way i could share my macro considering i do not have my own website… perhaps i can find a site elsewhere to uplaod my macro???

Sethren

I actually did sign up to Terranuts for that, but it still wasn’t present.

If you want, you can send the macro to me and I can host it.

It still was not present huh??? OK

i will upload the macro to you as soon as i can… :slight_smile: THANKS MUCH

Sethren

Well Criss, where has it gone to?

ashundar.com provides a personal file space to share files with other people (also those who aren’t registered)

Alrighty… sorry for the very long wait… been doing amillion things… i uploaded the file at ashundar…

http://www.ashundar.com/datas/users/1941-planet%20noise%20scape%201.rar

Sethren

I am far from mastering what each parameter does :wink: but that macro seems to produce decent results for extra large terrains with a big distance between pixels… Something in the range of 1~2 pixels per kilometer…

My hint would be not to put Erosion Devices into macros, because they take up a lot of ram and the user should decide for himself if he wants Erosion. (my opinion) :slight_smile:

That is funny that you mention that it’s decent Fil because i had not a clue with what i was doing… i just put a bunch of nodes together from the instuctions i quickly skimmed through and called it a day…

Yes… you are right Nikita about the erosion… i had forgot i even put erosion in the device… i will have to remember not to do that next time around…

Sethren

I once built a network with only two erosion devices in it and wanted SimonSawSunlight to build it (i didn’t have standard then) and he thought I was nuts :wink:

btw I hope you asked him if you are allowed to use his macro in your macro :wink:

Oops… :shock: i had not realized i did use his macro… what was i thinking… well i can get rid of it and start over from scratch if need be…

Sethren

That is funny that you mention that it's decent Fil because i had not a clue with what i was doing... i just put a bunch of nodes together from the instuctions i quickly skimmed through and called it a day.........
Well, I didn't say it was completely decent! :) I just comented on its decency for huge low detail applications :) which is easier to do, in fact.. But In particular, I liked the result of a few outputs with "combiner 1" set to arround the first 3 values.. (0.00 ~ 0.29) That gives a nice overall terrain for a huge level of some Warcraft-like game, with a large lake, many beaches, and stuff. That was about the best thing I could spot on your macro :) There are also lots of improvements you can to to actually make it usable :P Apart from really taking an objective look at which devices you really need to put inside a macro, and Nikita's suggestions; you should try to confine a macro to a purpose. (It will be easier for someone using your macro to figure out a parameter if he understands what the macro is trying to give him..) Some times this is not possible, and that is why everyone should give nice, self-explanatory names to parameters :P

Of course, if you made the macro just as a way of grouping some devices to use only in your project, these suggestions are less important, as there is no “other people” trying to figure things out… But in the future it might be you looking at a previous project, trying to replicate something… so legibility is something good to have, always.

These are basicly some of the usual recomendations that can also be found in the User Manual :slight_smile: But I didn’t want to bash your work, I just want to try motivating everyone to build better macros on each attempt!

So, Keep it up! :wink:

Yeah… i will probably make some more improved macros when the pro version is out which will be awhile but in the mean time i am quite busy creating my own custom procedural textures so i do not mind the wait… :slight_smile:

Sethren