Needy Newbie has trouble with exporting

Hello again to the World Machine Community.

I’m trying to export my maps using the Export button on the top toolbar, however…it doesn’t let me as you can see from the picture attatched. Apparently it’s having trouble with the Overlay view. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi there,

The Overlay device is just for viewing your scene (“Overlaying” a texture atop a heightfield to see what the combo looks like).

To export, you will need to create a File Output device for the heightfield and a Bitmap Output device, connect the terrain and texture respectively to them, and go into each devices’ properties to give them names and file formats. After doing that you will be able to export files successfully!

Beautiful! I fooled around with dissecting a preset Macro and COMPLETELY understand how this program works now! Thank you very much good sir. thumbs up to you

Hey,
As a fellow newbie to WM, may I suggest that this information regarding the overlay view be added to the Devices Reference as this was the same issue I was having [wanting to export the Overlay view as well as other outputs].
Exporting other parameters was fine; I just thought, being one of the export devices that it would, well, export…
Thanks to JDwilley I don’t need to create another post asking the same question…

Also; another question (related); if Overlay view doesn’t produce a savable output, why is it included in the Output manager dialogue box (with, “Not exporting” noted next to it)?
Its inclusion implies that there is a file there to be saved…

This is a good question; the answer is that any device that was terminal (no further devices) is called an output, even if it never in fact output to anywhere but the screen. The term “output” is being used to mean “the result of your device network” rather than “output to disk”.

However, on reflection I think you’re right – this is being pedantically consistent rather than helpful. The Overlay and any future devices like it should probably be classified as something else in the future to prevent confusion, such as “Viewers” or “Imagers” or something.

Yeah, I think “Viewer” could be a good name (“Imager” again implies there’s an image to be had…).
Either way, it shouldn’t be listed in the output manager dialogue box.

“End Result {not available for export}” (or something similar) may also be an option…
Just throwing ideas out there; worst thing that can happen is that they are rejected; I cope pretty well with rejection… :slight_smile: