New macro : Flow map processing

http://terrafgen.free.fr//Downloads/WM1/Flow_Map_Processing.dev

Here’s a very simple macro (2 devices inside ;))

When I use a terrain with erosion, I often use the flow map (second output of the Erosion device) as an overlay, like in this image.

The problem with the flow map output is that it’s not a very bright heightfield, and it has to be processed in order to get a usable overlay.
The aim of this macro is to process the flow map directly into WM, using the high precision heights (instead of processing the BMP overlay).

Don’t forget to read the macro documentation.

English is not my mother tongue, so if you have any suggestion for the parameters name, the macro name, its documentation, or if you have questions, don’t hesitate to reply to this thread.

P.S.: just a suggestion, if you’re building your terrain using full memory conservation mode : save the untouched flow map as a .ter, then use the macro on a new world with a File Input that import this .ter. It will prevent you from having to build the terrain several times if the macro result doesn’t satisfy you.

A small - but useful and flexible macro - this will definitely stay in my macro folder.
(unlike some other macros having 10 parameters and more :shock: )

save the untouched flow map as a .ter, then use the macro on a new world with a File Input that import this .ter.
What about another optional output, containing the original flow map? So the user can simply add a file output device for the unprocessed flowmap too without having to build in a splitter. (I'm lazy, i know... :mrgreen:)

Done, thanks ! Even if I prefer to use as less as possible devices in order to save memory, but only one splitter and one more output isn’t that much…
The macro has been updated.

I wonder if this macro can be used for making small river networks masked over existing lower terrains… any ideas here?

Sethren

Been doing that for a while, I mean using the flow mask to make rivers, haven’t gotten it as smooth as I would like.
I’ve used the flow mask in TG for quite a while; love it.
And I know what you mean about the too many nodes, I have made some fairly elaborite builds lately and they are pushing 1/2 an hour to make a 1025 terrain. :lol: