.obj files with the bitmaps incorporated

I noticed the .obj file format can contain UV map information. Is there a way to get Worldmachine to export a mesh with the bitmap already mapped on the mesh?

The bitmap is a simple planar projection atop the height field; this information could be exported as well, but usually its pretty straightforward to do the mapping in your 3d software as well.

Folks who want this chime in, if its a popular request I will see what I can do!

Usually it might be easy but:
A 20x20 tiled output is a lot of work to map for me
Currently Blender is crashing when I load the .obj and the .png before I can get the UV map done. Works real slow anyway cause even 512x512 meshes are 18+ MB Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks for responding btw.

Very true – doing tiles with applications that don’t have native support for tiled sets is quite a bear!

Try reducing the mesh size – meshes are quite inefficient at containing lots of geometry. Set the mesh type to simple mesh reduction, and the target ktri count to whatever gives you good results. You can use normal maps to keep the surface definition even with a reduced poly count.

If I can add the functionality simply for you, I will.