optimal hardware set up for WM

Based on WM facts and workflow requirements you may be familiar with, what is the most ideal rig setup you’d need to create optimally in WM ?

64 bit… XP, Vista or windows7? (is it supported in windows7?)
How much ram? 9 gigs?
Does WM make use of multi core processing?
CPU speed. is one proc better than another for WM?
Graphics Card - what would be optimal?, what would be good enough…?

thanks in advance…

I found this on the main site…

“Running under 32bit Windows, World Machine can easily run out of memory (or more precisely, out of address space)” i guess this means use a 64bit machine

BUT will this run well in windows7? Has anyone tested this?

OS: WM has already made the transition to vista and therefore should run on Windows Seven without problems. I can try this out, when I get home.
You will want 64bit - 32bit makes less and less sense as modern PCs get more and more ram (i.e. >2GB) and the support is pretty good already (imo) and costs just as much as 32bit. XP64 is pretty old and sometimes lacks support because nearly nobody seems to be using it and there is no real need to, considering Vista and Win7, except for maybe(!) a few percents speed-up.

RAM: If you’re on a tight budget, I’d recommend you wait for WM 2.2 which comes with memory management that can page out stuff and thus avoid out of memory errors in some scenarios. If not: Don’t hesitate putting 4GB+ into your machine. RAM is currently ridiculously cheap.

Yes, WM Pro can use multiple cores.

CPU: Don’t know. But you will want a fast one, which will probably mean 4 cores or more.

Graphics card: WM doesn’t really use it except for the 3D, 2D and layout view and you don’t need a terribly fast one for this. I guess every card currently available will be able to hande this. Probably even an onboard chip.

by the way: You should consider using a RAID. I’ve noticed on my 4GB 4 core machine that the hard disk is the one remaining bottleneck.

this is great info! thank you!

• when is 2.2 due to be released? I’d like consider all options we may have arising in the near future… if no set date, can you ballpark for me?

• assuming 2.2 = free upgrade? …hard to get purchase approvals around here :wink:

• please keep us posted on the performance and caveats of windows7 usage, look forward to hearing back!

I’m using Windows 7 and have no problem with WM. Cannot tell about the performace, because I directly upgraded from an old computer winth Win XP to a new one with Win 7…

See here: http://world-machine.com/blog/?p=140 that’s all we/I know at the moment.

I think so.

An important PS to what I wrote yesterday: Some features are only available in WM Professional. See this site to compare the different editions (and to download the free edition): http://world-machine.com/chart.html