Possibility of new export format?

Hi, I’ve been playing around with WM2 Pro for some time now and I have to say that it’s a wonderful program for making spectacular terrains on a large scale.

I’ve been working with an online program called ActiveWorlds, this is an online 3d environment that allows the user to build things on an immense scale if desired, due to the size of some of the environments applying terrain can be a daunting task. Currently I’m working with a terrain that is 20000 pixels square at a resolution of 10mpp. As it stands right now I have to export the terrain in about 2000x2000px tiles, which are loaded into a utility called DEM2RWX which can convert the tiles into the proper format. These final files have to be imported piece by piece into the world across the internet, which can be problematic to say the least, never mind the time involved with transferring between programs, converting the files, and maintaining the proper scale across the different tiles.

So, my question has to do with the possibility of writing a plugin that could export the terrain info directly into the filetype that I actually need. I would like to know if the PDK is capable of making a device to export to a new file type, which would also likely need to be scaled 1/10 vertically during export (AW adopted a 1/10 scale for everything to keep numbers smaller in the database…), I would also need to specify a vertical offset during export, as 0 in WM is the bottom while 0 in AW is simply ground level with terrain being capable of going under this level.

So, would something like this be possible with a plugin? Or would I be better off sourcing an outside tool for converting from a WM compatible format to what I need?

Its a small world… I know the guy who wrote DEM2RWX, great helpful chap, if you need his contact info (for source or other) reply to me :slight_smile:

You can definitely write a WM export plugin for a new file format – there is in fact an example skeleton code in the PDK that shows how to create an output device.

Good to know, I’ll have to take a look into that. Might save me a lot of time in the long run not having to do a bunch of converting after the fact. Thanks for the info Remnant.