Possible to add more surface to the area?

I was just wondering how you best add surface area around the object you’ve designed in World Machine. So you don’t need to have the camera in e.g. Terragen up super close to the object.

Maybe it’s easier if I give an example…

See this: http://hem.bredband.net/b240685/misc/wm.jpg

Anyone know a good way to best go about adding surface similar to simple perlin noise or whatever around that mountain? It’s in part generated by Radial Gradient, which I can surely decrease it radius on, but then it seems that would make it more “pointy”, and I definitely don’t want to change the shape of the mountain, as I’m very happy with how it looks now.

Again, the reason I want this is because otherwise I’d basically have to place the Terragen camera on the mountain itself, or very very close, which wouldn’t let me get a good “view” of it at all. Besides, it would just display a mountain on a square? :? Instead of a mountain part of a landscape.

Try the “object placer” macro that comes with World Machine. It will basically allow you to insert your current terrain as a smaller object into a terrain of greater area. You should probably use a higher resolution heightfield as a result, to preserve as much detail on your mountain as possible. Also you may want to do erosion after the macro, so that the added mountain element blends with the rest of the terrain.

The Object Placer macro can be a bit tricky. At first it tends to look like you’ll lose significant parts of your “object”, but if you tinker with the settings enough you should be able to get it how you want it.

• Oshyan

Thanks, I think that does just what I was looking for. :slight_smile:
Yes, I was expecting to increase the world size to compensate for this.