Problem importing...

Hey guys.

Just bought the registered version, and I’m having some difficulty importing my height maps. Every time I import something I get a really nasty crease, or fold going down the map (usually from top-right to botton-left).

What is this thing and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

WM really seems to have the worst importing I’ve seen in a heightfield program. No matter what format I try to put my HF in, WM either screws it up or rejects it.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I blow $25 on an exceedingly buggy product?

We’re going to need more information to figure out what’s going wrong.

What size and type of file are you trying to import? That’s really the place to start…

Okay. I’ll run through what I’ve tried.

The size of the heightfield is 2048x2048

I’m importing from Leveller, exporting to Terragen format, and then trying to import to WM.

I can do it with a TGA, but it gets very “terraced”

Sorry if I sound a little cranky, but I had high hopes for using WM.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Ok, I have a good idea of what the issue is now. World Machine terragen format import was only tested with TG-generated terrains, and it seems to be the case that other programs that export to TG format produce output that WM doesnt expect.

The crease is the result of interplay between a 2^n sized terrain (256, 512, 1024, etc) and a 2^n + 1 terrain (257, 513, 1025,…)

Terragen format usually is 2^n+1, and WM is expecting a terrain in that format. Although it usually can sense when that isnt the case, I suspect somehow that’s getting fouled up here.

I would try two different workarounds.

1. You could try loading the terrain into Terragen and then resaving it from TG. WM usually works fine with TG-created terrains.

2. Try creating a 2049x2049 terrain and importing that to WM, and see if it works.

Let us know if either of these works!

2nd one worked!

In Leveller “englarged” the heightfield by 2 pixels (2049x2049) and exported in Terragen format. WM opened it fine.

Thanks.

Oh, quick question… is it true that erosion doesn’t work on high resolution terrains? How high is too high?

Some people have reported Erosion at 4096x4096 doesn’t work.

I’ve personally tested 4096x4096 at both 20% and 100% duration, type=inverse filtered, and not had a problem, so it’s apparently not entirely repeatable.