raw files from Photoshop crashing WM

I know there is another thread about this here, but it is not photoshop specific.

I exported a 16bit raw file from WM and opened it in Photoshop. I then saved that 16 bit file from PS as a raw file, 0 header bytes, non-interleaved, pc byte order. I rename the extension to .r16 and try to import it into WM. WM instantly crashes. I also tried all of the other combinations (renaming it .r16 each time):

interleaved, pc byte order
non-interleaved, pc-byte order
interleaved, mac byte order
non-interleaved, mac byte order

all to no avail. It crashes each time.

Any ideas how I can get a 16 bit image out of PS and into WM? I tried using TerraConv but WM will not open the files it creates either (does not crash though).

Ben

Is the raw file square or rectangular in shape?

Since RAW files have no header to specify size, and there is no other way to identify Width X Height dimensions from the file, WM assumes that the raw file is a square, the dimensions of which it deduces from the file size. I’ll do a bit of testing in a bit to see if this might induce a crash, but this is the first thing that came to mind.

It should be square. Basically I am just reading in the r16 file from WM, painting a bit, and then trying to write it back out to a new r16 file.

I’m going to try some really basic files as a test to see if that works (making sure they are square).

bvz

Is it perfectly save to just rename these files?

After playing around a bit myself, a question for you: when you’re creating a 16bit raw mask in photoshop, are you working in Greyscale or RGB mode? WM can only import a 16bit greyscale RAW, not a RGB raw.

Funny you should be on this topic right now, as I was just testing it. So far I have been able to import an image saved from PS as a raw. I suspect that it is as you wrote, that previously for some reason I did not have a grayscale image. At any rate, it seems to be working now…

Thanks
Ben