reimporting

Hi

I have this problem. I just purchased the pro version and I’m trying to modify a terrain that I made last year.
The problem is that my old project is gone (i lost it) but my terrain is sitll there. I only have the texture and the 3ds file that I generated.

So, is there a way to reimport this into world machine somehow, make the adjustments and export again?

I loaded a file input device, but I saw it only takes heightmaps as input. Any ideas?

Hello,

The short answer if all you have is the mesh file:

no, it’s not currently possible to re import back into WM easily.

however,

There is a workaround if the terrain file is very important and its worth a bit of hassle to recover the heightfield.

Basics: you need to produce a greyscale overhead orthographic rendering of your mesh in your 3D software, where increasing elevations=white. This can be done with either a texture shader or linear fogging on a solid color object. Depending on the internals of your 3D software this may or may not produce an acceptable quality output, but its worth a try if its important!

Interestingly enough, I experimented with a mesh import device that roughly does the above a while back but found it too finicky and slow to make the cut. I hope to be able to introduce it eventually if I get the development time to fix it up.