"Relief Map" Style Image

While looking for some interesting art to hang up on my walls, I came across this site that sells maps with a sort of 3D effect. I really liked the style and decided to see if I could create something similar myself. This was just a quick “Proof of Concept” run while on my break at work, I’ll update later with a hopefully better workflow and final product!

4 Likes

I’m finding this process really fun, even if my results aren’t as clean as I’d like them to be right now!

3 Likes

I really dig these <3

I agree, the result isn’t top quality, but I don’t think it is possible to produce an equivalent result in WM, as the reference material appears to be using a proper 3D renderer with (a lot more) accurate (sun)light. So, if you would want to take this to the next level, import it to blender and use the Cycles renderer to render the shadings!

1 Like

I’ve been considering doing just that, though I’d be importing to Cinema 4D and using the Arnold renderer, as that’s what I have and am most familiar with, I’m just having too much fun seeing how close I can get in WM ahaha!

2 Likes

First attempt at bringing it into Cinema 4D, tried doing some subsurface scattering to give it more of a marble feel. This is definitely a lot closer to the source inspiration, though I’ve gotta figure out a better way of doing contour lines.

1 Like

Updating with the same image, just smoother contour lines. Trying now to figure out a balance between smooth contours but not so smooth that it doesn’t line up correctly. I also want to start adding some more color into this.

1 Like

Mind if I join this adventure at some point?

1 Like

Absolutely! Feel free to post any of your results!

1 Like

On a whim I decided to try rendering the Hyrule map from Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild in this style, and spent way too long on it ahaha

2 Likes

Oh that looks absolutely lovely, nice warm colours. Do think it’d be cool if it had a more canvas or thick paper texture to it.

2 Likes

Thanks! I definitely keep mentally bouncing between wanting a paper/canvas style texture or a marble one. I think I may eventually do multiple versions just so I can satisfy both itches!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.