Rendering a texture

The reason I want [WM2 | Terragen Classic] is to generate heightmaps and pre-lit textures for my game engine. I’m trying to decide which one to buy. WM2 seems much more flexible at creating heightmaps. Terragen Classic seems better at generating the pre-lit textures - select orthographic render and presto, it generates a perfect texture overlay for the heightmap with the terrain casting shadows on itself.

I’m hoping that WM2 can also do that, but I haven’t been able to figure out how. A lot of peoples’ workflow seems to involve going from WM2 to Terragen but I can’t afford both programs. Can WM2 generate textures like that or do I have to go with TG Classic?

Thanks!

OK, I found the tutorials which helps a lot (had no idea about macros before). The Basic Coverage macro is pretty much what I was looking for. I can get simple lambertian lighting this way, which is probably good enough.

I’ll try to figure out if I can get self-shadowing on the terrain. Thanks for any tips you can give!

There is a device for lighting: the Light-Map Maker!
It’s in the category “Converters” (for some reasons…)

But it’s currently broken. If you really need it you should think about installing an earlier version of WM from back when it still worked. (i.e. 1.2 (i think))