Resolution & Worlds

Sometimes worlds at 8k res look completely different from worlds @ 4k resolution, could someone explain to me why this happens and how to avoid such things?

Thanks,
Rus

do you have a small example world you can post that exhibits this? There could be several reasons.

See attachment. My whole approach is probably incorrect and completely backwards. so, It would be really nice if someone could explain how to approach the world creation thing.

how should I build things? Top-Down, Bottom-Up, Sideways?

I’ve confirmed that 8k seems to build differently than lower resolutions, and will let you know when I uncover why.

When I did lots of 16k terrains I also noticed a difference with the erosion device. Constantly when rendering small 2k regions of a water fall I noticed that the water fall looked different when I rendered out the main extents at 16k. To me it seemed like also the noise functions change in shape or seed value. I didn’t think this was an error but more that the tiling system cant predict the noise in different tiled regions?

Just an update:

I’ve found a bug that will affect erosion at >=8192 resolution. In particular, it will effect the multiscale erosion code, so that the amount of erosion will seem to be all of a sudden completely decrease past a certain resolution. I believe that will fix the issues you’re having.

This is separate from the general low-level unpredictable of erosion.

I will update the WM 22 packages soon with the fix, as well as offer a seperate update patch for those who have it already. I’ll let you know when this happens!

Cool, Thanks Remnant!

The hotfix is now available for this issue; see the pinned post in this forum for details and download link

I’m having another similar issue with a mismatch between 4k and 8k,

This time it’s a snow device I feel that’s causing the problem.

EDIT: It looks like at higher resolutions the snow cover is thicker and seems to cover more than at lower resolutions.

I’ll take a look. It’s quite possible, as the bug I fixed in erosion was simple but was a case of a resolution limit from years ago (“Who could possibly go higher than 8192…” being passed.