Rivers

Hi everyone,

Currently trying to lay down rivers on the continents but it seem that the 30 km by 30 km resolution is playing against me since i cannot make the line small enough even with minimal fallof setting the river doesn’t get smaller.

Can the multi resolution be the answer to this or should i revert to mudbox?

Regards Peter

Hi there,

You can set the falloff of a shape manually to any setting you like – just click in the falloff report box and set the falloff size directly to whatever you need (like, say, 10m).

Depending on your workflow and the prominence of your rivers, you might find it more convenient to sculpt rivers in mudbox.

Alternatively, much of the time I use the Flow Map output from the erosion device to define river courses, as this will naturally define the rivercourses – this is the default solution if you just need river location rather than river sculpting.

Hi Stephen,

Yes i know about the fallof setting but at 1 m smallest value the river is still to large so i guess Mudbox will be the solution to make them thinner.

Thank for replying.

Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, for such minute features you are likely better off with a sculpting approach – WM’s tools were designed to be a bit larger scale.

However, it is worth noting that 1m is not the smallest you can enter – you can easily use fractional falloffs such as .1m to get as narrow as you want!

Cheers

Hi Stephen,

My bad i did not even though to try if fractional unit where working in the fallof!

I will surely give it a go since it would help a lot on other thin crevasses and crack.

Regards Peter