Road creation inside world machine

hi, i’ve been working on a scene containing a hillside road. although the road seem unrealistic, its only for reference for mudbox. i need some opinions on this scene as it still looks typical cg and i need to integrate it in a live action footage.

First step would be to learn how to light the scene naturally. Either by HDR or at least a 3-point light setup to create key, fill and rim lights.
And make sure the render is neutral so you get more control in the compositing process, where you’d have to either match the render to an ungraded image or possibly the final grade, depending on the workflow of project.

I’d also encourage you to combine the different masks on top of the color map you export from WM.
Use the flow map, wear map and ambient occlusion in a combination of different blend modes and opacities to get the look you’re after.

i know about IBL and compositing passes, what i meant was what details can i add procedurally so that i can minimize the sculpting process. lighting and rendering i can handle well enough as well as mask based shading. the basic coverage macro is only for reference while texturing further. as for a shadow neutral beauty pass, i believe soft shadows that are consistent with the 3d world are the reason we build a terrain in 3d, or we could’ve used matte painting techniques. i use vue for lighting ad rendering passes, then get those into maya or blender for projection. then i have to deliver it to the next guy for final environment.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :slight_smile:
I’m fresh at WM, don’t know exactly what to do for added details like you’re after.