*sighs* yet another texture issue. Seems like flipper is being ignored..

Ok, so WM2 has been working like a dream and I have been getting more and more bold.

Here is what the preview looks like:

The whole pipeline is green when compiling so I’ve no idea why the texture outputed looks like this:

the burn mark in the middle is there, the structures are to, but the mountains look horribly wrong. So I double checked the heightfield output that is produced…

(all images scaled down for thread.)

Could I see your network, please?

http://smoth.net/home/wm/problemmap.zip

Sure.

Let me take a look into my crystal ball: You are building the texture in a tiled build, unlike the heightfield which you build without tiling.
Do the flipping outside of WM, or in a seperate tmd and load the already flipped/combined version. Otherwise, each and every tile will be flipped which leads to problems as indicated by the small [size=20pt]![/size] next to the flipper’s indicator square thing. :wink:

ps: We should start up a world machine supcom league or something :mrgreen:

so flipper stuff will need to be done pre-process or it can cause issues like this in tiled builds? Is that going to be addressed in the future? don’t get me wrong, I have no problem doing it, just wondering if it will be improved uppon.

Not really a big fan of supcom my world machine work is for this: http://www.moddb.com/games/gundam-rts

I have been trying to figure out the workings of worldmachine for rts gaming and been sharing what I learn with some people in the community for the engine I am using. Some are looking at using this tool as well. So most of my work in world machine revolves around figuring out how we can generate as much as possible in just this tool.

I don’t think the tiling-system as it currently works can support this - it’d need to swap the position of tiles that aren’t even built yet. I can add it to the bugtracker… but I don’t think it’ll be implemented soon.

it’s all good man, I can make a small pipeline off to the side to generate the mirrored height map prior to processing the actual map. No biggie. I just need to be sure to tell people about it.

Is there a list of devices that have issues with the tiled build or it is only the flipper and sometimes erosion?

All the devices that have the red ! next to them in the network. Those are devices that give different results when the location of the render quad changes: the equalizer, clamp with normalize, flipper, expander and displacement.

Erosion, Blur and the like depend on the surrounding terrain - they are the reason why we need blending percentage when performing tiled builds.

As nikita has said, the Flipper really doesn’t work well with tiling at all. I’m tempted to remove it alltogether to get rid of the confusion, but it DOES have its uses for single-file work so its left in but with the warning in place. In general I’m attempting for the next patch to provide more feedback in the UI; this is one of those examples that a more explicit warning would be helpful!

Flipper should never be in a tiled network; The rest can be used in tiled networks but you may see some artifacting if the tiled blending percentage is not large enough to hide it. That’s one of the ways you would determine how high to set the blending – a network with no “!” devices may not need any tile blending at all, while one with extreme erosion, lots of blurring, equalization, etc may need a very high blending percentage to avoid artifacts.

yeah please dont remove it…I kinda do use it…mainly for flipping png’s cause they come out the wrong way anyway(allways flipped verticaly)…but it does save me having to open up photshop to flip stuff.
ad