Something is wrong with workflow WM-Vue

within vue terrain

Once inside Vue, create a Standard Terrain, and enter the terrain editor.
Choose a resolution that matches the resolution you selected in World Machine.
Reset the terrain, then choose the Picture terrain type from the list of terrain types. Click Load, then Browse to the directory where your terrain heightfield is located. Select it.
Your terrain has now imported succesfully into Vue!

texture

You can also import colormaps into Vue from World Machine. You can either use the texture directly, or as a great base that is then further extended by Vue’s built-in texturing functions.

Click on your terrain object and choose Edit Material
Either add a new layer, or select the Default Layer, and choose the Color&&Alpha tab. Change the coloring mode to ‘Mapped Picture’
Click Load then Browse to your exported terrain bitmap, and select it
You have successfully textured your terrain! It should now look identical to within World Machine.

Importing heightmap (tiff) is 50%ok. To match the height from WM, one must slider up to “100% Picture”
Otherwise, terrain is too flat (50% is preset)

Also, the texture-part does not work: When doing so, the image is like 1000x tiled across the terrain…

(Got Vue 2014 Pinoeer with RenderUP Module)

Please help to find the right workflow and maybe change the “Workflow how to page”

hi paul,

the problem you described is a very well known bug in vue. this happens when you resize your terrain before applying the texture. always keep the terrain at default size, and do not increase scale until you have finished working on the terrain material. perform as few test renders as you can manage while working on the material of the terrain.

cheers!

hey :slight_smile:

I created a new standard terrain and reset it. Then I turned resolution up to 2048x2048 (to match the .tiff output from WM)
Then I set slider to 100% “Picture” and then the texture does not apply right :frowning:

Ok, from what I understand, I have to import the tiff heightfield on a vue terrain, which is not subdivided to 2048x2048?!

Cheers!

hmmm, can´t get it to work :frowning:

I created new standard terrain, rest, import heightmap (2048x2048, tried 2049x2049, also), set slider to 100%
Created new material, set “Mapped Picture”, selected 2048x2048 bitmap image, interpolation “Bicubic” and hit OK.

Then I subdivide the terrain till 2048x2048 - and again, the bitmap texture is tiled 1000² times over the terrain… :?

So now way to import from WM into Vue with a texture?

you misunderstand me. i mean do not “resize” the terrain before you apply the texture. resizing is not the same thing as subdividing. i meant that you do not increase or decrease the dimensions or scale of terrain.

I did Not resize the Terrain. Just created a new one and then imported the heightmap.
I did not touch the terrain.

hi paul,

well now you mention it, i realise that i’ve never seen this prob in 2k res terrains, only in 8k terrains. that means the bug also depends on the computer’s config. how much dedicated RAM do you have? mine is just 3 gigs and a very old nvidia geforce 8400m gpu. still this problem doesn’t always come up, unless i work on 8192 res terrains.

Hi,

I got 4GB RAM, i5 CPU and ATI 5870 1GB GPU. So projecting a 2048 by 2048 texture should be no problem.

Man, I go nuts… Such a simple task and it will not work :frowning:

Have a good one

you can try disabling sky previewing and cloud previewing, disable or reduce background draw settings, then try building your scene from scratch. i told you not to buy vue. those are exactly the problems i face everyday. instead download terragen free and try it out.

hi,

I already tested TG and importing heightfield with texture is a bit guess-work to setup right, but a least it works.
What I saw from a geekatplay tutorial, one must set “object-Parametic” in material, when working with a Texture that should cover
the terrain fully and not tiling all over it… so I will try this setting out.

I can´t see, why I should disable all the previews? Ok, the 5870 is not so fresh, like it was when I bought it (it was the first DX11 card), but still
can run Crysis 3 at high and Tomb Raider also - son not a bad card. The CPU is i5 3500 - not that bad, also. So my system should handle a single
terrain nealry at idle :wink:

Yes, you told me that - but the textures are not such a big problem. I like Vue for the more artistic approach and nice volumetric-fx
, easy place objects in a scene, etc.

Anyway, thank you for your hints!

Ok so “Object parametric” setting was the key to win :smiley: