Spikes in Terrain...Help Needed

As the title states, I am getting spikes in my terrain. Too little resolution? Too much erosion? Bad settings somewhere along the line? There are a lot of things I’ve tried but even more I haven’t or simply don’t understand. I did try blurring the terrain after the erosion with blur amount from 1 to 5 and this simply blurred the landscape to the point of it looking oddly rounded. Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

Hi there,

It’s tough to say without exactly seeing your settings, but that is definitely something that can happen depending on the erosion settings. You can try playing around to see if perturbing the rock hardness helps matters, but there’s another trick that sometimes works.

Try applying a bit of smoothing BEFORE the erosion device. Usually the spikes/edges happen where the terrain is radically changing values – smoothing these out a bit before erosion will usually fix matters. As a practical point I often use thermal erosion for this purpose as it limits the smoothing to only occur above a certain slope limit.

Thanks. I did try bost pre and post erosion smoothing but on the pre I may have needed to up it just a bit more. I think I had it set on 1 or 2 (the pre-erosion smoothing). I will try some more and if no luck, will post my project file for others to check out.

Thanks,
Scott

(Loving this software!)