Very noisy terrain

So i have this Island terrain of mine, and i am having a problem with the coastal overlay macro.
Basically some parts of the terrain are dotted with brown/green dots (as in slope is changing rapidly), and i can’t get rid of that unless i make all the slopes green…
There is also an advanced perlin hooked into the node system, i think that might be the cause, but can’t seem to fix it.
Any ideas?

could you please elaborate with some screenshots?

Of course.

The Build is done in 4kx4k

nodes

either your world extents are set to insanely large scale, or erosion node is not working. there could also be a problem fractal resampling in the file input.

what resolution is your input terrain file? The third screenshot looks like there are strong bilinear interpolation artifacts occuring, which occurs when doing a massive upscaling of an input terrain. There are a couple options:

1. Use the Dev Channel version of World Machine which includes support for other interpolation methods such as fractal or bicubic
  2. Use a technique similar to that shown in the example file “Examples\New for WM 2.3\Techniques\Improving Real World Terrain.tmd”. Blur your input file, Apply additional fractal detail, erode, and then output.

I’d recommend taking a look at the #2 example no matter what for an example of how to enhance a low-res input file!

My input file is 2k by 2k heightmap, and the WM terrain is 8 by 8 kilometers, would that be the “massive upscaling” you meantioned? I tried to reduce that number to 2x2 kilometers, but all it did is cut my document size therefore displaying only 16th of the original terrain. (and i am pretty sure i just did it wrong)

Also what would additional fractal detail be? i’m new in this, so a little explanation would be nice and appreciated :slight_smile:

I will of course look into the 2nd example as well later today.

1. for scaling, 8km terrain is fine. by massive upscaling, stephen meant upscaling terrain resolution, from say 256pixels to 8192 pixels square terrain.
  2. just try to add a blur node after your file input, change blur type to gaussian. then blur until the pixellation just disappears.
  3. check your erosion node again. try to increase erosion amount, and see if any change occurs. if not, then erosion is where the problem is.
  4. if nothing works, try to rebuild the node network in a new file, from scratch. sometimes that works like a charm!

Erosion works just fine actually, so i shold try the bluring method then.

Also i finally imported my terrain/texture into Cryengine and got couple of issues where the terrain is too bright, and is too lowres. any idea how to combat the color/resolution problem? or since this is just long distance terrain texture, it doesn’t need to be highres? I was following Amir’s tutorial on terrain creation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNe5X0fKNfU so i have all these ambient oclusion maps, cavity maps, flow maps, color maps mashed into this master texture covering the terrain. Here is what i got: http://youtu.be/LyyIzRy2F-o

1. terrain brightness is due to gamma correction in the texture filtering. follow a linear workflow guide for cryengine.
  2. texture resolution in cryengine is at its highest is 1pixel=1meter. you have to overlay a tiled grass and rock texture over your present setup. amir’s tutorials elaborate perfectly on that.
  3. there is also the problem of terrains high being too high, and low being too low, reduce terrain height from terrain options to balance that.

for your earlier problem, did you find a solution?

Could help me with the location of the guide? i looked it up, found nothing related to cryengine. I did learn what the gamma did though, so that’s always helpful.

I came to understand that i will need an additional set of textures/materials for highres look, will do that later.

Now when you say it… It does look too extreme, fixed it by using the “decrease range” in edit terrain. Now it looks much better, and i can actually climb anywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah i was able to fix that pixelated look with the blur, but now my terrain looks a bit too even, trying to slowly come to the needed result.