Video Memory

Hello, I purchased WM a few days ago. Just fantastic, great fun, but when I start it, or when I buildt terrains a notice often appears that says : " Warning: Can’t Create a New Surface. Out of Video Memory. This Program will Exit.". And it does. Sometimes the soft runs fine and sometimes this happens (with the same computer status, no other programs running, …). Nevertheless I use other 3D applications (Animation:Master, i.e.) without any problems of this kind. Could you give me some advices ? I work with a Pentium 1.2 Gh, 1024 Mb DDRam and my graphic card seems to be SIS 650_651_M650_740, 32Mb. Thanks a lot and best regards, Eric.

Try to update the drivers of your graphic card ?

Je pense avoir fait l’ update requis, et rien n’a changé

Hi there,

World Machine definitely does require a good amount of video memory on the video card, as the amount of memory required for a terrain to be displayed in 3D is approximately 36bytes times the number of vertices; so even a 512x512 terrain would use 9MB of video ram. A 32mb card is definitely a bit on the low side, especially once space for the framebuffer is set aside.

Your best bet is to go into Program Options in WM and make sure under “Terrain Options”, you have set the 3D View Resolution Limit down to a value that doesn’t cause problems; try setting it to 256x256 for a first shot and see if that fixes things.

Hi all, i am a new user of World Machine Standard Edition and I have to congratulate to the author :wink:

Well, I started making a game and want to include a heightmap from World Machine to my game world. You say that uses 36 bytes for vertex then, what are these 36 bytes contains?: vertex position, vertex normal, texture coordinate, vertex color… ?

I would like to see the same nice looking that terrains show in the world machine program, pleeeaasseee… hehe

Thank you for your replies and advices. Gotta buy a new graphic card, I think :slight_smile: Eric

Hi all, i am a new user of World Machine Standard Edition and I have to congratulate to the author :wink:

Well, I started making a game and want to include a heightmap from World Machine to my game world. You say that uses 36 bytes for vertex then, what are these 36 bytes contains?: vertex position, vertex normal, texture coordinate, vertex color… ?

I would like to see the same nice looking that terrains show in the world machine program, pleeeaasseee… hehe

My reference to 36bytes is a rough guess at the amount of memory that OGL uses to store vertices. On modern cards WM usually uses 28bytes/vertex by storing float(x,y,z), float(nx,ny,nz), and byte(r,g,b,a) per vertex.

Depending on what you’re using to make your game, (if you’re using a 3rd party engine, for example) there could be lots of things you need to implement to use a heightfield or none at all. You can check out the Nehe OpenGL tutorials for some basic introduction to OGL: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Hi Remmant,

thanks for the reply of that and the message with the RAW-FP32 as subject. Your information has been very useful.

Actually i’am loading Terragen files with 1024x1024p. and at the moment I have something quite powerful starting off of your indications.

I show two images to you of the present state:

Txs again :wink:

Wow, that’s looking really nice! What kind of game are you working on?

• Oshyan

Hi JavaJones,

well, the game that I make have as objective increase my knowledge in the game programming before initiating a masters in creation and design of games.

Right now, I want to do a game seemed to oblivion of bethesda, logically much more simple. Although a friend seems also interested in which I have made with heightmaps, and he has in mind to make a space-ships online massive game.

At the moment, the texture is precious for the space-ships game :stuck_out_tongue: