Volcanic field

Hi, I’d like to create a volcanic field similar to this one http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=8650.

Any hint?

Thanks in advance.

This map illustrates some interesting features of a volcanic field like lava flows, erosion and random distribution of diferent size cones. Interesting, isn’t it?

Awesome…Luv it. keep trying

A couple things spring to mind:

1. For the craters, there’s a couple recent threads on creating them, as well as a couple macros available… You should be able to piece together an interesting volcanic crater-field scenario with those.

2. For lava flows, you have a couple choices. The Snow device can do a credible job modelling lava (see the example scene : “New for 2.3\Techniques\Lava flow.tmd”). Alternatively, an interesting approach is to take your terrain and run it through a sequence of inverter -> erosion -> inverter. Now the erosion channels are actually raised surface flows, which would be an interesting technique to model cooled lava flows on the surface.

Thanks for the hints Stephen. Before using the crater macros, it’s necessary to create the volcanic shapes. The usual way is to use a radial generator, but I found an easier way painting circles of different diameters and extension with a layout generator and connecting to a curve and maybe to a ramp. In this test I started with a real heightfield from the Bayuda volcanic field, which is quite old and eroded so I had to add manually several volcanos, 2 radial and 3 from a single layout generator. A limitation of this technique is that all volcanos, tough different radios, have the same height.

I am attaching the 3d view of the layout, the graph and the 3d view of the result.

I will appreciate any hint to improve this technique.

Hi.

To change the height of the volcanos in the layout generator, is very easy just editing each circle properties. It would be also easy to edit each profile but it’s much simpler to connect the whole layout generator to a curve.

About using an inverted terrain -> erosion sequence to simulate the lava flow, this is a partial result after equalization. I see I should break the craters like in the Lava Flow example, but it seems promising. What do you think?

xrumer888@outlook.com

xrumer888@outlook.com