What are the coordinate units?

I made a world 5.43 km large. I want to expand my world, so I made the world size 21.72 km (four times as large). However, I still want my original world centered… but I can’t move it to the exact center with the transform settings! I can’t figure out the coordinate system’s units. I need to move it 8.145 km along X and Y, but I have no idea how that translates into coordinate units. Does anyone know?

Well point (0,0) is the bottom right :? corner of the height field. The heightfiled’s width is 5.43. that means the center is at 5.43/2 = 2.715. if now the height filed is 21.72, you need to place that 2.715 position right over the 21.72/2 = 10.86, which means you need to move 10.86-2.715 = 8.145. So your calculations are right…

But!.. the “0 to 1” units of the Global Location seem to be working fine for the default value of 7.68Km… Meaning that 0 is 0 and 1 is 7.68km… as you want 8.145, you need to punch in the value of 8.145/7.68=1.060546875 :? but because it goes the other way arround it’s a negative value :roll:

If that is not a bug, it looks as ungly as one… :slight_smile: I bet it was meant to behave in local coordinates, so 1 would always be the world size, and not the 7.68 default size… If by any means it is supposed to work this way, then there is some user interface issues about those units… So as a workarround devide the value you want in Km by the default value of 7.68Km…

Thanks, Fil!

I understand now, that makes sense. It would be nice if the coordinates were in Km to make it easier.
:slight_smile:

Actually Fil, that’s not totally accurate…

The easiest way to see how all the coordinate systems work is to go into Explorer mode, where you can view the entire larger world. The render quad will be highlighted by a white box – this is the area you are viewing in the previews, and will generate when you build the world.

WM’s coordinate system is defined such that X increases eastwards, and Y increases northwards (bottom to top). So by default 0,0 is the bottom-left corner of the render area, and the top-right corner is defined by how big you make the world size.

Other than that minor correction, Fil’s advice on what to do is correct. :slight_smile: The kilometer/WM unit mismatch CAN be quite confusing, I agree, because nowhere is the conversion factor ever stated. I’m fixing this for the next version, allowing you to have everything in either WM units or km.

I used the wrong smiley! I wanted to use the “:?:” instead of the “:?”… They are very similar to write.:slight_smile: but thanks for correcting that, because I wasn’t 100% sure about it too…