What have YOU produced with World Machine? Call for submissions!

Rendered with Terragen classic into

And edited in photoshop cs3 a bit.

Trying to get an “Arizona look”. I haven’t gotten to the vegetation yet, so I attempted to add some ground fog.

Six of the terrains are from WM2 with a Terragen 2 generated backdrop. Rendered in TG2 with no post work.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/16049/20121230-amlr-97kb

The Middle-Earth DEM Project has released a free interactive Middle-Earth demo.

World Machine is one of the core apps we used to make the terrain in the demo. I’ve been using World Machine for a number of years now. I couldn’t do any work on this project without it frankly. All of the terrain and mask layers were composited in World Machine. Some erosion was added. Layouts were used to control various things such as terracing, erosion, terrain height and form, and glacial valleys. The tiling features were used extensively for i/o.

What you see in the video is what you get in the free demo. :slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy!
monks

Hello, I’m a lead technical artist at UNIGINE Corp. We used World Machine when developing Valley Benchmark, namely for generation of:

- terrain height map,
    - terrain diffuse map,
    - masks for terrain detail materials,
    - masks for distribution of objects on the terrain (rocks, trees, crags, etc.)

Screenshots and information about the project: http://www.unigine.com/products/valley/

Full HD video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZMVz3oUCagw

We’ll publish the detailed article about the process of creating Valley Benchmark with in-work screenshots and WM files a bit later.

There are some great things in this thread, but the work you’ve done in this Valley benchmark is remarkable so i had to leave a message. The relaxing ambiance, soft atmosphere. Nice WM too

Here’s a project I’ve been working on in my free time. It’s 100% procedural, I didn’t use any layout tools, and it’s straight out of WM.

High Res 8194x4097

Image of my graph (I don’t know why, I like to see these things)…

Those are mostly macros, and the blue lines are each a set of 3 separate maps. For example, one pack contains Average Sun Light, Precipitation Potential, and Wind.

In the past I had it generating quality terrain zooming all the way down close to the size of a large Battlefield map. I’ve got some old examples of terrain up close here. I have more recently focused on continental scale generation and so naturally it looks like complete crap up close now. Unfortunately work has stalled because render times have become too bothersome for quick iteration, a new PC will do me good.

My end goal (long way away) is to generate an entire MMO sized world in a game engine (I’ll be eyeing UNIGINE for sure!). I’ve got distribution maps for pretty much everything from bedrock to soil, to plant and tree life, weather conditions, and also farm land and cities. There’s even a distinction between farm towns and port towns. I think I could actually generate distribution maps for just about everything I need to make a “living” MMO scale world. Granted it would probably be a dull world for a game, but also great base to start from.

Rendered with Terragen 3.

a WIP of a snow covered mountain range… lack of hieght is due to the fact that its built entirely in world machine… rendered in vue 9.5

another render with the same technique… vue 9.5

Terrain created with World Machine 2 and imported to Terragen 3 for rendering.

Landscapes made with World Machine, skybox from Terragen, screenshot from Unreal Engine 4, maybe 3 hours work. jhgrace.com for more

An attempt to portray a specific ridged mountain area in Corsica.

Keeping it weird

I haven’t used WM in a while but, beside the detail being gorgeous, something picked my interest, how do you manage to have “régions” like a southern desert and northern mountains without using any form of layout at all? I can see not using layout for the terrain itself but don’t you even use a layout curve or something to show how “hot” the terrain should be generated?

Also i’m going to have a pretty beefy server soon again, let me know if you’d be interested in having a very high resolution render done for free (if you’re using a version of WM i have access to). Depending on how hungry your graph is i could go pretty high (i’ve done decently complex graphs at 128 000 X 128 000).

Hi Ronan, what are the specs of your server? I wonder if it has 1tb of RAM or something else.

Still haven’t bought the large server i’ll need down the road for my project so currently using these : https://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/enterprise/ (the mg 256), so 256gig of ram & 40 threads

Down the road will buy a 2TB 80core+ server.

Impressive. But this is not proper way to go. Proper way is redesign of application to be not so memory hungry and GPU support. There are already World generating tools with GPU support, for example height map generation is 100x faster.

Which ones?

GPGPU is not the holy grail of everything, it’s not like you can stick 2TB of ram on a video card quite yet and i’m using big servers to generate very large (non tiled) areas as a lot of filters break down in quality on tiled (need neighbooring information they can’t get if it’s rendering elsewhere).

And WM is not “memory hungry”, it’s pretty good at what it does i’d say and the conserve memory that dumps intermediate results is a nice plus.

World-creator (former GEO control). Almost everything is realtime.