Why are input files limited in scale?

My world scale is set to 245.76km. I am trying to import a custom painted gradient to use as a mask. Unfortunately, the largest size I am allowed to use on an input file is 122.88km. This is just a quarter of the scale that I need to use. How can I get a custom mask that will fill the entire world I am building?

Ben

unfortunately, I don’t think that is possible… you may need to get the world size down to 122.88 :frowning:

As Fil said, the limits on File Input worldsize needed to be set somewhere. I figured that 122.88km would be “enough for anybody”. Apparently not :wink:

One workaround : cut your mask into 4 parts in photoshop and then use a different file input device for each one, positioning it appropriately. Combine them all together with several combiners set to Max mode.

Yes, that is a pain in the ass, but if you can’t reduce the world size for some reason, it IS a way to cover the entire area with your mask.

Neat idea, the four tiles. I’ll try that out.

What I have done for the moment is just what you suggested - I have reduced my world size and am reducing the feature size correspondingly.

Basically what I am doing is trying to create a view from an airplane overlooking a frozen tundra (mtns in the background). For the most part, this will be a matte painting, but I wanted to try WM and Terragen out to see how far I could take it there.

Nice program by the way.

Have you ever used Apple’s Shake? There are some neat interface features in there that might be useful in WM.

Ben