WM BMP file crashing Vue 5 Esprit program

First off, what a great program you guys have here. Terragen and other programs listed in your saving output dialog should feel very good about what you have provided for their user base. Just excellent work!!!

OK, I saved a BMP file and tried to import it into Vue 5 Esprit as an object. The program disappears when trying to open the BMP file. I’ve just re-entered this 3D graphics arena but was told in the days of old that developers will sometimes have a different take on a particular file format, or one attempt might be more robust in its development than another. What is anyone’s thoughts about why I can’t open this file in Vue 5 Esprit? Thanks for your time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well welcome, I assume you saved the bmp from the output device. If so it is 8 bit. I have absolutely no idea what Vue 5 Esprit expects as input but are you sure it will accept 8bit bmp. Others will help that understand Vue 5 since I have never used it. Sorry for being a twit.

That sounds like fairly poor behavior on Vue’s part. At the least it should throw up an error message, not simply disappear.

Do you know what other formats it supports? Perhaps a different format would be better. .raw or .pgm?

• Oshyan

I have used the demo of Vue Infinite 5 and Vue 4 and have imported various 8bit Bitmaps from World Machine outputs before. I never ran into this problem myself. Honestly i really can not say what the heart of the matter is. That is just wierd behavior coming from Vue and this is the first time i have ever heard of that program doing such a thing. I wish i could assist more. :frowning:

I do not think it supported raw but if i can remember correctly it did support jpg, png, not to sure about pgm? There might be other formats i might have missed.

Vue 5 will not import a BMP as Object, it’s not even an option, Objects in Vue are 3D files only, importing Object will not even show BMP’s.
You can use a BMP on a terrain in the terrain editor, from the menubar->object->create->terrain->standard terrain or SHFT-T, after the terrain editor opens->press reset->click “picture”->click “load” and pick the desired TGA DEM BMP JPG TIFF , they all work fine. If you want a 16 bit file, export from WM in PovRay TGA format and once you’ve taken it into the Vue terrain editor, hit the “Diffusive” button under the Erode-Tab a few times before leaving the editor, that will take care of the jaggies.
Every once and a while Vue will stumble over a texture file, TIFF’s are a surefire pain in the proverbial, JPG’s and TGA’s are no hassle at all.