WM crawls dep on memory resource game

i may not understand exactly what going on in the background, but here it is…

we’ve upgraded the machine. specs:

intel Xeon E5540 2.53 x2
6GB ram
64BIT os (windows 7)

using windows 7 and the resource monitor available, 64bit WM i notice this:

when entering into layout view and zooming/editing (particularily editing a shapes) - using the “f” key on a node upline of the layout network, a large chunk of memory goes into use.

• to be expected i assume, but if i stay in that layout mode too long, i hit a ceiling that costs me upwards of 10-20min to get out of the program starts hanging terribly. its cost me hours of time… if i exit back to node view mode and click “f” before my memory maxes out, i can get full response from WM but its a constant game to be played that i don’t have time for…At least i have a way to monitor the memory resources BUT…id still like a better way for this to be handled…

The problem is this. After exiting the layout mode back to the node view mode a large chunk of memory stays in use that wasn’t in use before using the “f” key. the f key is heavily relied on for visual feedback. when i first opened the program there was lots of memory available. upon exiting the layout mode, the memory doesn’t get released…

1. can WM be designed to release memory that was utilized in layout mode once you leave that mode? it isnt needed anymore is it?
  2. Is there a more optimal way for me to work while still giving me the visual feedback i need without being so dependent on memory.
  3. is there a better hardware setup that will noticeably improve the response i get from WM?

Thanks for your help as usual the deadlines here are tight.

1. Sounds like a memory leak.
    (2.) If this is the case, you can’t really do anything about it.
  2. I don’t think so - it’s a software error. Also, the next version will have more sophisticated memory management that makes larger builds possible without buying better hardware.

For now, save before using Layout Mode and kill WM via the taskmanager. This is faster than waiting.

edit: I can confirm this and will write a bug report.