WM2.1 x64 INI Issues

I uninstalled my old version and installed the new 2.1 version as per the directions. However, now I’m having trouble running the 64-bit version. I can run the 32-bit version, enter my registration code and all. But running the 64-bit version, all it says is, “Could not find world.ini file!”

I reinstalled it twice to see if it was just a fluke and deleted any thing that remained (even in AppData, but not the registry, if any items exist there), but to no avail. Have any suggestions?

Further, just out of curiosity, why can’t it generate an INI file when one is missing or corrupted beyond repair?

As a point of interest, I had exact same problem. So for the heck of it, I re-installed the old version and installed on top of it. It no longer complained about the missing ini file, but it would not take the registration code. As you indicate, the 32 bit version seems to run, but it complains about a plugin problem at startup.

Are you running windows vista?

Check the UserName/Appdata/Local/VirtualStore folder. If there is an entry for WM2, delete it – Vista creates this folder when it detects a pre-Vista application, and silently inserts the contents of this folder instead of the actual contents of the WM2 folder.

Microsoft intended for this feature to help migration to vista-compliant applications, but its quite a headache if you don’t know of its existence.

If you’re not running vista, I’d love some more details!

Yeah, I’m using Vista and I know of this feature. I didn’t find a WM2 folder, but I did find an old WM1 folder. Deleted it just in case, but no effect. One interesting thing is the 64-bit version still requires UAC to run, while the 32-bit version does not. I guess, simply put, are you sure you have the right version of the 64-bit executable in that installer? :stuck_out_tongue: I can’t confirm the version anywhere. The executable’s metadata for both executables reads 2.0.0.0, and the About dialog has no version information (aside from the major version).

But, right now, I have no other information to report. 32-bit version works (though I haven’t tried to build a world with it yet). 64-bit is unable to run due to the world.ini error.

EDIT:
Okay. So I used Vista’s Shadow Copy ability to restore some of the stuff I lost when I reinstalled. The examples folder and my macros. Anyways, I also found a world.ini file in there, so I restored it to World Machine’s Program Files directory to see if it would work with the 64-bit client. Now, when I run it, it doesn’t complain about the INI file (apparently, it still expects it to exist in the Program Files folder), but asks me for my registration code. When I enter it, it says, “This code is for the Professional Edition. Please contact (…) for the correct software package.” Well, last I checked, the 64-bit version WAS a part of the Professional Edition, and exclusive to it. So, whats happening here?

Ditto here - running VISTA (64 bit version). When running WM2.1 pro 64 bit version it prompts for registration key. When key is entered it puts out the “registration error” alert saying: “Your registration code is for the Professional Edition. Please contact blah blah to download the correct Software Package”

my sequence was 1) control panel un-install of WM 2.0 2) install WM2.1 and got the missing ini message 3) un-install 2.1, install 2.0 4) install wm2.1 a second time – got past the ini issue but got the registration code issue.

Also, don’t know if it matters, but I compared what 2.0 installs and what 2.1 installs. Missing in the 2.1 install are the Directories: Examples, help, macros, presets, temp. and macrosfavorites, startup, world elements were also missing from the 2.1 install.

WM 2.1 installs all of those folders to a different location: The Examples, Macro and Preset reside under My Documents.

Writeable data files (such as world.ini) are now in /Username/Appdata/Roaming/World Machine XYZ/

To help with some of these issues, I’ve updated the version of WM 2.1 to only accept valid world.ini file locations (previously, there was an issue whereby it could use an old, overwritten INI file). This should make the 2.0 -> 2.1 port on vista easier.

Re-download and install 2.1 – everything should work correctly.

Works for me. Thanks for the support~