World Machine ate my hardrive

Windows 7
RAM 3GB
Free space 4GB
So I was building some 4096x4096 Height maps (Tiles) and I set the output to my 10GB free flash-drive.
While building I realized that my Hard-drives capacity started decreasing even though I set the output to my flash-drive. World machine then crashed and my hard-drives capacity was then down to 0 ;_;.
Now I only got 90KB of hard-drive left?
So did World Machine save the height-maps somewhere on my hard-drive before saving to my flash-drive? And if so where can I delete it?

Yep, there’s something “they” forgot to tell you, or that we both havent read from the user guide… ^^’

WM generates temporary files for every rendering, but never deletes them, when it gets closed, which means your temp folder content builds up time after time.

To check where the temp directory is and change its path you have to click on the “Preferences” button, which is right beside the “World Extents and Resolution” one (sheet of paper with a red “V” over it). Then move to the “Paths” tab and there you go.

I myself have changed the temp folder to reside on my NAS so that I have plenty of free space and I dont have to clean it every time. Actually, the last time I’ve cleaned it, I had to delete 65GB of files… -.-’

This is the “Preferences” button (check the attachment)…

Thanks a lot, now I got more space than I had before :D. Thanks again!
Got rid of 5GB

Hi there,

World Machine should very definitely delete all of its temporary files! However, in the case of a crash these often get left around, eventually causing a clog like you’ve encountered.

I’m looking at adding a system that inserts some flags so that WM knows that it was previously building a world, cleaning up its mess on next program start

Thank you! =)