HELP! Can you please tell me what kind of erosion is seen here?

Hello All and thank for any help.

Can you tell what kind of erosion this is? I am stuck between wind and rain but the direction and shape makes it appear to me to be due to rain.

Thank you!!!

Difficult to say, and I am biased by the name of the file, so I would go with wind. If it were hydraulic erosion, I 'd expect it to me more uniformly spread, and the bottom right is really localised instead.

Also, any clue as to what those white patches are? Almost look like there was snow in the desert.

Looks like snow settling on sand dunes. If it were rocks, I’d say some real world thermal cracking.

To me this is kinda reminiscent of the terrain you see on Mars, which leads me to believe it’s a mixture of thermal cracking on the rocks and wind erosion. Maybe some ancient hydraulic erosion on the rock surfaces, but, going off of the Mars similarities, I wouldn’t expect anything geologically recent on a grand scale.

A few Mars reference photos to back me up a bit

Editing to add: Depending on where the photos were taken, glaciation might also be a contender, though I feel like desert is a lot more likely than moraine (especially considering the filename). Also added an image of some of the dunes on Mars which I feel are pretty close to a dead ringer for the images

1 Like