Brand new and looking for some help

So I’m brand new to using world machine and I’m trying to make a crescent shaped land mass that takes up the majority of a 80kmx80km box with a max height of like 750 meters. I’m mostly looking for tips on how to make a natural looking coastline and how I can add a string of mountains near the back edge of the crescent that looks semi natural. I’ve player around with it a ton, but I’m just having trouble getting it to look nice. I can make decently shaped randomized island shapes, but im having a hard time making the landmass keep the crescent shape while looking good.

1 Like

@Orionox “Shapes” node for the base shape, and for masks for your mountains area. Your scale settings you can find in the menu here: “Project>Project settings”.

The realism is a matter of perspective, approach the problem artistically. Look up this tutorial project I made, and check more tutorial projects from the menu entry here: “File>Open Example World” if you want to get a grasp on the basics.

Thanks, I actually figured it out most of the way since I posted this. The one thing still giving me trouble is adding the mountains to the island. I reduced my maximum height and I sort of want the center of the island to be the highest and to have the mountains taper and they go towards the open end of the crescent. I’m also having trouble with like perspective. I wish I could drop in as a “person” sized entity and look at stuff

1 Like

create water device is creating all of these tiny holes all over my map, any idea how to get rid of them short of clamping each hole at the correct height for the surrounding terrain? Part of the problem is that I’m clamping the rivers and tributaries at a certain heigh since the game I’m importing into has a world level water system. So the rivers regardless of terrain need to be keep at around 65 meters to actually have water in them.

You need to add “flow restructure” right before “Create Water” node. Flow restructure subtly modifies your terrain for proper hydraulic flow, which makes “Create water” flow into nice rivers.

I added it earlier in the process, I’ll try adding another one

1 Like

The trick is to add the Flow Restructure device directly prior to the Create Water device in the chain, otherwise your terrain is (no longer) guaranteed to be 100 % “water flow” compatible or whatever we want to call it ahahahahah.