Bug fix list for WM2 Service pack 1 (updated 10/8)

I’m expecting to release a maintenance release soon to fix a number of the outstanding bugs and issues with WM 2.

The current list fixed to date is:

• Vista compatibility fixes; moved default doc path to My Documents folder
  • Added customizable paths for doc and temp folders
  • Fixed thermal erosion crash when mem conserv is on
  • Fixed message about 32bit limits on 64bit build
  • Fixed colors.tga and colors.txt issue on WM 2 Pro vista build
  • Fixed erosion running slower with multiple threads issue
  • Fixed relative paths issue after new save location
  • Added output management button + dialog
  • Fixed WM 1.x voronoi scale issue
  • Erosion can now be cancelled…
  • Snow can now be cancelled
  • Text now displays on laptops with old Intel Integrated GRaphics drivers and vista.
  • Added back the Simple Transform device for old school users, fixed the issue with Curves device sometimes not appearing.
  • Fixed sporadic occurance of devices not building when multi threading.
  • Fixed random failures to apply masks under certain conditions
  • Build status now lists devices in order of activation

Other issues are also on the list, but I want to get this bug fix out soon as it addresses some important issues. There will be continued maintenance releases to fix issues as they arrive and can be fixed.

Just a last note that I read every bug report and request on the forums, even if I don’t get a chance to respond to them. So if you’ve reported an issue, thank you!

Instructions for retrieval:

All version of WM available on the website are the current 2.1 edition. Download from the link provided on purchasing, or on the Basic Edition download page.

Very cool - faster erosion’s always a good thing.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time right now. There’s a deadline for a raytracer I have to write and today I’ll have to pass an exam on image proccessing - interesting stuff! I hope I’ll be able to write one or two plugins based on my new found convolution and fourier analysis super powers :slight_smile:

Good to hear. I written down a few other things I’ve run across or
wondered about. Will post them sometime for the next patch. :wink:

Absolutely great! I have tried the unsharp macro in order to sharpen terrains for Vue renders but the results have been mixed (due to the simple fact that the processing needed for the purpose requires a Fourier transform) and therefore Fourier filtering plug ins would be an absolutely wonderful addition to WM toolkit.

Bye!!!

If you take a closer look, you will find that the approach using filter masks and the approach of filtering out frequencies in the fourier transform are actually two way to do the same thing.
In particular, multiplying the spectrum F by another function H to isolate a specific band of frequencies is equivalent to applying the inverse transform of H: h to f.
Short: fh = F·H ( is called convolution)

In my opinion the reason why this stuff doesn’t work as good as one would expect is the reason that fourier series use sine and cosine to synthesize functions. A sharpening-filter is basically a high-pass filter. The problem: You do get the high frequencies BUT you will still have the smooth look of the trigonometric function! And you will not get completely rid of this with discrete fourier transformation.
This also creates some counter intuitive effects:

You can measure the wavelength of the triangle function and calculate the single frequency. Yet, if you’re using a sine-based transformation, you will not need just one frequency but infinitely many.

I suggest experimenting with the expander - it can create pretty sharp edges which might be what you’re looking for. :slight_smile:

I got an A by the way but I have to admit that it was fairly easy.

Edit: by the way: As I learned, my sharpening macro implements the “Difference of Gaussian” filter. It’s cool to see how something you created intuitively actually has a name and can be proven to work :smiley:

My experiments (described in Renderosity Vue forum) have shown that Vue standard terrains butcher the 2 highest octaves of the signal while all the rest is left untouched. This means that one needs a super sharp (in the frequency domain) filter in order to enhance only what has to be enhanced; no usual filter has a frequency falloff sharp enough for our purpose: only a Fourier filtering allows to modify just a few, well known, coefficients.

Bye!!!

P.S.: while you are at it, add at least the Haar wavelet :lol: :lol: :lol:

just an update: fixing the known critical (crashing/failing) bug. Once that is completed I will release the patch.

I’ve completed the final changes to the patch.

I will be making it available as soon as I’ve completed final testing and packaged it up for general consumption!

The currently available version has been updated to WM 2.1. I’d like to find a way to let existing users upgrade instead of re-installing, but a number of directories have been moved around, making it much less complex to simply reinstall.

For Standard and Pro users:

If you re-visit the download link you were provided when you purchased WM, you will now have access to the WM2.1 setup file.

For Basic users:

Re-visit the http://www.world-machine.com/basic_edition.html page.

Super, thanks Remnant.
Do we need to un-install first, and then install, or can we just install this new version over the old?

Due to structure changes to support Windows Vista, you should backup any documents you saved in the WM installation folder, uninstall, then reinstall. WM 2.1 respects Vista’s guidelines for program data placement, so all further upgrades should be able to go directly atop.

Thanks for the update.

Not sure if your aware of this or not. When you output an Erosion-Flow map as .tga, it’s flipped vertically. The same goes for outputting Erosion Primary output as .r16, .png and .tga files.

Dave

Also, Help - "About World Machine"should say Version 2.1 Just so we know for sure were running to correct version.

Got it. Thanks.

fyi… the links says the size is 10 MB, for me the download was 7.7MB (the WM21_Pro). The 64 bit is complaining about the registration code being not correct, the 32 bit version is complaining about CustomRegPlugins.dll is an incorrect version, but it seems to run. I’m running Vista 64 bit – thanks for any help.

I’ve updated the 2.1 package available on the website to improve the 2.0 to 2.1 migration package under Windows Vista. This should fix all of the issues reported so far.

To ensure that you’re running the correct version, the About page will now display the exact version number (WM 2.1).

Is there a link for 2.1 pro?

hmm seems like im having some problems now with using the layout generator in combo with a combiner node. basically im trying to use the layout as a mask to blend 2 heightmaps…but if i change the params for the nodes then it somehow gets messed up and doesnt register…but if i save and reload the whole file then it works again…it just doesnt work if i then alter the params again…and then I have to save and reload the file…which got tedious today…I ended up using the other type of combine node…but hey…hope there is a solution in the futire
thanks
adam

Any chance you know whats going with the problem in my last post… Remnant?

Just the same problems of combiners and various filters sometimes not taking in the mask properly. I have the updated version of world machine and this seems to happen allot to me. Usually its when i use select slope then select height as a mask for bias/gain and or as a mask for a combiner…Please some feedback would be great.
Ive attached a file where i had this happen and for the ter file look here
http://rs408l3.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=141709834795406991
http://www.2shared.com/file/4334198/4f2add51/mt_cook.html
Adam

Stephen, I don’t think the alpha testers have a link to 2.1…?..well I never received a link to the 2.0 download. I’m still running 2.0 here. Any chance of a link??

Cheers,
monks