Displace Strata Texture Vertically Along Terrain

This will be one of the few times where I’m asking a question that I’m not entirely sure is possible within World Machine (though it should be, if I’m not mistaken). It’s a bit hard for me to put in words, but when creating a texture for a terrain in World Machine, what I’d like to do is, for example, run a mountainous terrain through a strata device to essentially create sediment layers in the mountain, then push those upwards a bit according to the general curvature of the terrain, to simulate uneven geological uplift. In the past, I would have used the terrace device with a noise passed into the terrace modulation port to achieve this, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to achieve a similar (or better/more realistic) effect using the strata device, as I find those masks to be much nicer than the terrace ones.

Forgive me if this is something that’s easy to do; for whatever reason, my brain can only think about this problem 3-dimensionally, which is making it impossible for me to figure out how to do it in World Machine.

Eh could you share the workflow/result you’d get with the Terrace device method? Because I’m having a bit of trouble understanding what you want.

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the next builds of WM can already do what you want - the strata tilt and heading parameters have been made spatial in the next builds, which lets you warp and modify the strata layering in a more controllable fashion than the Terrace Modulation input gives.

That’s exciting to hear! These spatial parameters are very quickly becoming my absolute favorite new feature!

Absolutely! Here’s a very quick, exaggerated version of what I’m trying to do. The right side of the terrain shows an extremely exaggerated instance, while the left side is a bit more subtle, closer to how I actually use it.

Editing to add a picture that better shows what I generally use my method for, as far as texturing goes (Colors are extremely exaggerated just for visibility).

Ah I see, is this what you are then looking for?

It definitely looks like it! I’m guessing that’s an alpha build?

Just as an fyi, 4030 has been released on dev channel. It’s the latest release for now.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Installing now!

Editing to confirm, spatial parameters on the strata device is exactly what I was looking for!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, spatial parameters are definitely my new favorite thing.