Displace Strata Texture Vertically Along Terrain

This will be one of the few times where I’m asking a question that I’m not entirely sure is possible within World Machine (though it should be, if I’m not mistaken). It’s a bit hard for me to put in words, but when creating a texture for a terrain in World Machine, what I’d like to do is, for example, run a mountainous terrain through a strata device to essentially create sediment layers in the mountain, then push those upwards a bit according to the general curvature of the terrain, to simulate uneven geological uplift. In the past, I would have used the terrace device with a noise passed into the terrace modulation port to achieve this, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to achieve a similar (or better/more realistic) effect using the strata device, as I find those masks to be much nicer than the terrace ones.

Forgive me if this is something that’s easy to do; for whatever reason, my brain can only think about this problem 3-dimensionally, which is making it impossible for me to figure out how to do it in World Machine.

1 Like

Eh could you share the workflow/result you’d get with the Terrace device method? Because I’m having a bit of trouble understanding what you want.

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the next builds of WM can already do what you want - the strata tilt and heading parameters have been made spatial in the next builds, which lets you warp and modify the strata layering in a more controllable fashion than the Terrace Modulation input gives.

1 Like

That’s exciting to hear! These spatial parameters are very quickly becoming my absolute favorite new feature!

Absolutely! Here’s a very quick, exaggerated version of what I’m trying to do. The right side of the terrain shows an extremely exaggerated instance, while the left side is a bit more subtle, closer to how I actually use it.

Editing to add a picture that better shows what I generally use my method for, as far as texturing goes (Colors are extremely exaggerated just for visibility).

1 Like

Ah I see, is this what you are then looking for?

1 Like

It definitely looks like it! I’m guessing that’s an alpha build?

Just as an fyi, 4030 has been released on dev channel. It’s the latest release for now.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Installing now!

Editing to confirm, spatial parameters on the strata device is exactly what I was looking for!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, spatial parameters are definitely my new favorite thing.

1 Like