Education assistance?

Hello all:

I am currently a student at a local college and my aim is to go into game development. I am currently receiving training on many different game engines and software to help me do what I need to do to create and maintain games. World Machine is one of the softwares that have come up, and I am looking into getting one of the premium versions. However, I see that they are quite expensive and I just do not have the means to purchase a license straight out. The free version is nice, don’t get me wrong, but I am limited both in size and quality. Nothing that I have created with the free version has been up to spec to go into my portfolio, so I am looking for something I can regularly use to create things of that level.

I have started two support tickets on the site, the latest one only a few moments ago from the time of this post. The other has been over a week or a week and a half without any sign of me ever receiving a response.

Is there a program out there that will offer any help with this?

Also, is the license only valid for a year, and then you are booted back down to the free version until you renew the license? I would be happy to stop receiving updates if I can keep the “Professional” features and the money will be more worth it to me, even if I receive no assistance.

I feel your pain about student budget and pro level software.
I’m not sure whether WM does discounts for students. If it’s not, I’d say: save up. Or get a Mastercard or ask someone for a loan. I know it’s not the answer you want, but if it’s the only way, what can you do?

The year long license is perpetual - it never ends - and is considered as maintenance. It’s a common term in the world of professional software, and basically means

• The software does not stop functioning, but
  • after 12 months you will no longer get software updates.
  • You can extend the maintenance on your license by 12 months at a time for a relatively low cost

This is different to subscription, such as Substance Painter etc. where you pay either monthly or annually. But the moment your license ends, you can no longer use the software or open your files or anything. Until you pay again.

I hope that answered your question.

Thanks that does help quite a bit. I will probably just go ahead and try to get it. I would just be REALLY nice to have a bit of a cushion to the $200 cost of simply upgrading to the lowest professional level of the software that I can actually use.

I am glad that once I buy it, I essentially get the version that was out once I buy it, and any updates for a year. So that is a huge plus!