Export to RAW 16 bit Intel byte-order

I am trying to use World Machine to create the heightmaps for the battlefield 2 (BF2) game engine. BF2 requires the heightmaps to be in a specific format to read and it appears that WM doesn’t quite support this. So I wanted to post here and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Here’s what I have found to work…

1. Create a 512x512 terrain in world machine (WM) and save it as a terragen file.
  2. Open the .ter file in terragen (free version) and export as a RAW 16-bit Intel byte-order (.raw) file.

Where this doesn’t work for me is I am trying to create terrains larger than 512x512. I really don’t want to purchase terragen ($99 USD) just to perform this conversion. I have also been told that photoshop would work for me, but again, I’m not interested in shelling out that much money just to convert a file.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are there free or inexpensive tools that would perform this conversion for larger size terrains?

Try exporting as a 16bit raw from WM (.r16) and renaming to .raw.

I’ve tried that but that doesn’t seem to load in the editor correctly. I’m not sure why that doesn’t work but exporting from terragen does.

Here are two screenshots of what a 512x512 map looks like in the bfeditor.

This image below was a WM terrain exported to terragen, then opened in terragen and saved as a RAW 16-bit Intel byte-order (.raw) file.

This image below was a WM terrain saved as .r16, then renamed to .raw and then opened in the bfeditor.

That kind of artifact is usually seen when you have an off-by-1 size mismatch; ie WM is exporting 512x512 and the editor is expecting 513x513. Do you have any control over what dimensions of data it expects to see as input (ie you can set it to 1 less?))

Unfortunately I can’t. I guess that could be a reason why terragen works because it exports to 513x513.

I tried taking the .r16 file and resizing it but that didn’t seem to work.

TG0.9.19 can load heightfiels larger than 513 - unlike 0.9.43, give it a try :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with TG0.9.19. What is that?

terragen version 0.9.19, using this version, you can open large heightfields too :slight_smile:

wwweeestta@mail.ru