Gaea 2 vs WorldMachine

Hello people!

Im not sure if it is right to ask this in a WM forum but I was wondering if any of you have tried / will try Gaea 2.
Original Gaea still falls short of WM in its current state in my opinion, but Gaea 2 looks rather promising to me.
I will still hold back on getting a license because I have a feeling Stephen is working on something good right now.

Also just to be sure, this is not meant to be a post against WM.

1 Like

I for one am definitely going to try every terrain modelling app I can get my hands on! Gaea 2 sounds pretty close to current state of WM though. “God Mode” sounds very similar to WM’s “Render Extents”. I don’t know enough to comment yet, but in any case I’m excited to see where they are going.

The top thing I’m looking forward to in Gaea 2 is “macro” and “compiled nodes” support. Which again is a pretty mature feature in current WM builds, but it would be interesting to see how they approach it.

I’m also curious as to see what it will bring to the table. For me, the biggest strength of WM is the number of very simple, basic devices you have at your disposal. This is helped by the fact you can decompose the more complex data types, such as the water type, allowing for some really intense manipulation, and extracting information. A lack of such functionality, would really be a deal breaker for me, so I’m wondering if this version of Gaea will also allow for that, or if it will still remain more superficial.

I’ll probably check it out, especially as we go longer with almost no signs of life from Stephen. At the same time, I’ve been using World Machine for over 10 years now, and, in most cases, the deep level of familiarity, comfort, and confidence that comes with that is way more helpful than shiny new features. I think the only thing that would cause me to consider fully switching away would be a procedural volume/voxel-based package, but as far as I know, those aren’t technologically viable yet (at least, not to the level of detail I’ve grown used to).

1 Like

I reiterate on this, as this would make for really cool terrain, I think. But that would be a much more physics based simulation, I assume, as crevices would also have to collapse and such. Still, something really interesting, no clue if that will ever come.

1 Like

I mean, it’ll come eventually, I think. I believe it’s just a question of if we’re talking years or decades away. Barring some really wild advancements in technology, I’m thinking we’re at least a decade out from such software becoming commercially viable (as in: providing high enough detail with fast enough build times and a low enough price point that it would make sense to switch from current solutions), but with how insanely fast AI has been maturing, maybe the “next big thing” in computing, as it were, isn’t as far away as I think.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.