How can I create a Blur that doesn't pass through zero values?

Hello, trying to use a blur in a very specific way. Not sure this is even possibly, but I need to blur a terrain via a mask. I need it to only calculate what is inside the masked area. Isolate masked area works for this, but I need to take it a step further… I need the blur to not pass through alpha/black areas of the mask. Is this possible to set up fairly quickly in world machine, or is this a limitation and something I will have to do externally? Let me know if I need to elaborate further. Thanks in advance.

That is possible!

However, do note the lack of “bleeding” results in hard edges.

Is this what you are looking after?

2 Likes

Thank you for replying! I am looking for a way to get rid of the bleeding. Probably a user error, but I was unable to get your method to work like I need.

I am trying to smooth out a road but when I blur, the blur passed through the black areas if the blur distance surpasses the distance between 2 features causing the roads to be slanted rather than flat.

I discovered somewhat of a work around. My method for now is to use a 1m blur multiple times to make it as smooth as desired without causing the bleed.

Ahhh now I get what you were trying to achieve. The correct approach is indeed entering multiple blurs in succession!

But, you may wonder, why didn’t my proposed method work? It certainly was not user error! This has to do with how masking is done in World Machine. Masking is a “post FX” operation, meaning, first the device performs it task, in this case, it blurs the terrain by the given amount. Then, it will blend the input terrain with the altered terrain. So, it is a really crude method, nothing intelligent going on there. That’s why your blur was bleeding, even though you masked the parts in between, because those parts were only removed after all the blurring was done!

The same issue plagues my method, because what I did was literally just that, replacing the blur effect from the original terrain, where the original terrain is 0 metres in height. The reason I did it so elaborate, is because the Blur device is a bit finicky, so this was to isolate any issues coming from that.

I hope this clarifies as to why both our initial methods did not work, and congrats to you, you extended your knowledge and understanding of World Machine!

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation! Very helpful!

1 Like