Memory, Paging, Hanging Troubles

Suddenly in the last few days I’ve been unable to work effectively as WM is spending most of it’s time paging to disk. I work for 1 minute, wait for 5 minutes, then repeat. I’m not sure if it’s a WM issue or my pc needs some love, but I have started using a lot more Distortion nodes as well as Advanced Renderer nodes. Could these nodes be too demanding? I removed all the Advanced Renderer nodes and it didn’t seem to help. I cleared more space on my Temp drive. I restarted my machine and did a quick cleanup. I’m not sure why my scene is so memory heavy. Any ideas as to what to try next?

*EDIT: My Temp folder currently weighs in at over 42gb

Several options:

  1. You can clear the contents of the temp folder. WM should probably do this as a janitorial task on startup; under normal situations paged files are removed on program close but if there is a crash they can remain.

  2. In Preferences, set max app memory usage to 90% or so to give WM as much memory as it can use while not completely causing thrashing of other apps on your system.

  3. Try setting max history memory to 10% or so. History memory usage is the greatest contributor to mem usage. It should be automatically dumping old build results as needed when you do a build, etc, but this is the first thing I can think of.

  4. If you have a complex world, you can turn on “memory conservation” in your render extent settings. This will keep only the final build results, not the intermediate devices, which saves a ton of memory. This setting is per-render-extent so you can have one extent with this enabled for high-res final builds, but work in a different one.

I intend to add a few “health status” indicators to the statusbar showing when paging is occuring, etc to help keep you abreast of what’s going on


This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.