New User_New 2World Building

Hello Community -

This is my first day here and would like to ask where do I start to learn about WM.
There’s so much to learn and I want to go about it the correct way so that I get to know WM.

One question as a Scenario 1, If I created a blueprint in Illustrator of a pre-planned landscape of a fictional world and wanted to import in inside WM flat to create what I already have planned out, Is this possible at all?

I took a look around before asking this question hoping that someone else had tried this already, However I had no luck in doing so, So I thought to ask this ahead of time.

Question 2 - Once a terrain or landscape is created does the image mesh transfer-import into Unreal as a mesh or do the texture colors import with it therefore the coloring of the work is not needed once it move over to UnReal 4 engine?

Thanks In Advance,

DF

Question 2 is kind of komplex.
Unreal can be used in VERY diffrent ways.
It depends of what you are trying to achieve.
Think of scale for exemple
Is it a small hill, rock ,cliff, or is it a HUGE Landscape like 100km*100km you want to create.
The workflow to create a mesh or landscape is not the same in Unreal it is a HUGE diffrent.
Painting a mesh and a landscape is diffrent, Setting up the Textures is way diffrent and also there is alot of calculation to do.
Is it a game then you need to think about FPS, Is it a picture then you do not have to think about FPS.
Etc etc etc
But WM can export meshes and Textures for Unreal.
Meshes probl needs to be edit in a 3d program before you use it in Unreal,(Maya, Blender…)
You need to make UV -edit and stuff and make sure the mesh is flawless.

That is just the basic stuff to think off.
Understaning Unreal and know how to use Unreal is the most difficult. WM can then deliver to Unreal.
There is not just one way to do things in Unreal. It is more what way will you do it.
I use WM meshes and textures and use them in Unreal so it can be done.

HotShot -

Thanks for the reply here.

Lets say that I wanted to create the Overall Size Vertices to 4033X4033, Quad Sections at 63, Section Components to 4(2x2) Component Size 126x126, total Components 1024 (32x32) for an MMO type game. I’m wondering if there’s a section in WM to type all of this in and it will give me a layout with my numbers?

I’m also wondering are there any tutorials about this kind of thing, Again I am new to WM.

I plan on designing this world flat for placement only. Also will be using ZBrush to craft specific objects and bring into UnReal and move on as such the building structures as well once done.

The software would be Modo or Maya maybe but for sure Modo. Not sure if Modo could handle this or maybe it’s all about how I save the file correct?

DF

This, for me, is a setup for Unreal Landscape using heightmap. Your numbers are right and it can be done in WM.

But now new questions appers and this question will never end lol, It is just the way developing works.
As you see in the picture there is the option to select Width/height it is set to 8km and the output heightmap is set to 4033. This mean that the Detail Scale will be 1.984 m/pixel.
Do you need better Detail?
Then you need a smaller MMO world say 5km*5km or you need a bigger heightmap 8129x8129 or switch to use Worldcomposition in Unreal and make Tileing heightmaps.
Now you need a new workflow…
This will add drawcall and reduces FPS. You need more RAM yada yada yada. You need to try and see what works best for you.

You then export throu this window

You set it to RAW16 and press save
Now you have a map that can be importet into Ladscape in Unreal.
When you import it in Unreal you need to figure out the XYZ scale multiplyer to get it right.
You can also export 8bitRAW for your weightmaps in this windows so you can paint the Landscape in Unreal

WM are not good a Cliffsides and stuff like round Rocks. WM is not a 3d editing software.
Stuff like that needs to be done in Maya, Blender etc

Hello Again HotShot -

And thanks for sharing this info.

LOL Understood. It makes sense. Test until we find a solution to each project.
So exporting a 8bit raw weightmap and painting it once in UnReal4 is the best I assume.
I will have to experiment with several options until I find the best route for this world I want to build.

Ok so let me ask you this.

If you were me and wanted to import a vector blueprint of a flat terrain where you planned it all out ahead of time in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop so there’s no second quessing where you need things like the set dressing assets later once created.

How would you go about this in an example? This world is meant to be a huge layout with 8 or 12 very different zones like states including: 1.water sections 2.mountains 3.hills 4.rivers and 5.lakes. Are there templates in WM that can give a user a starting point?

Or is it best to work something out in sections all with the same measurements, Not really sure just yet.

I’ve looked for tutorials and none so far on specific topics like what I’m asking here.
If you had time to set up a scenario project for an MMO I would appreciate it.

I will trouble shoot this regardless but thought to ask another user that’s maybe done this and know of way to move about in WM and importing such work like a weightmap into Unreal and go from there.

Thanks Again,

DF

I have no answer for you on that question. I am not working like you are ATM.

Regars

1 Like

Thanks For The Tips ((HS)).

Once I figure this out I will produce a tutorial on it. You never know someone just may find is helpful later.

DF

If you’re working off of a reference, I’d suggest a different, easier workflow.

1.Save a raster image of your reference, not vector.
2. Import this image into wm using “File input”, set to “Interpret as RGB”. Set your world and file input scales to match, save project. This is your main workspace.
3. Add as many layout generators as the zones you want. Connect the file input to them all.
4. Now name the layouts as you go as “[biome name]_mask” for cleanliness. Block out each of your zone boundaries. You’re just isolating the sprawl of that area, not the shape necessarily. You’ll be using these layouts as a mask to isolate your zones.
5. Now work in branches laid out in parallel, using layout to mask that zone branch in general.
6. Once you create all zones individually, combine them all using “chooser” or “combiner”, use the layout “mask” output to land it all on your base.

@Darien_Frost This is clearly a very complex project, I earn a living solving terrains like this. So a word of advice: The road will be very long doing it alone. So make sure you start working, then ask “specific questions” with small, very “specific” focus. When it comes to “node based” programs, you’re not bound by the workflow, you’re only bound by your own understanding of what you’re doing (and hardware of course…).
TLDR: Set up your project first, start working using #1 and #2. Set the project scales. And THEN you’ll know the specific questions to ask, the ones that CAN be answered directly and “topically”.

1 Like

Thanks Again WFab.

This makes sense. I will explore and share when I get to a point of it making sense.

DF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.