Question about Tiled Build Setup

I’m relatively new to World Machine, I have the professional version and am wanting to create a large open world.

In the Project Settings, in the Scene Setup tab, assume I want to create a 256km^2 world. Even with the highest UE4 landscape option, I’m at 31.49 m/pixel which is obviously not ideal.

I assume the above resolution doesn’t matter when doing a tiled build correct? In the Tiled Build Setup tab, if I set the Tile Resolution to 4033 and Tiles per side to 64 (probably not ideal either but using it for this example), I get back down to 0.99 m/pixel. This is the only value that matters when doing a Tiled Build correct?

I have a couple bonus questions that I may as well ask here. I understand 100.0 Z-scale in Unreal is equal to 512m, if I have in the Project Setup tab 2.048km, I should set Z to 400.0 correct?

Lastly, I can’t see any details when working on any type of large landscape project. Everything just looks like little bumps and I don’t want to export it just to load it in to Unreal and see there’s issues. Is there a workflow to follow to add details to local areas when working on large landscapes?

Ehm this depends? I assume you mean, with the maximum resolution UE4 supports for a single grayscale image, you can only get a detail resolution of 31.49 m/pixel. If so, yes tiled builds can help! Each tile can be separately imported into UE4, effectively bypassing the maximum image size constraint.

No, this is not the only value that matters. When doing a tiled build, you should find a sweet balance between the number of tiles and individual tile resolution as well, as this can influence how efficiently a tile can be rendered, and if you will (or will not) hit your RAM limit. As you don’t need to merge the tile into one single image, you don’t need to worry about needing a lot of RAM for that merge.

I’m not familiar with UE4, but I suppose so yes, in order to keep slopes at the same angle, this is important.

Yes there is! You can create multiple Extents, and give your working Extent a dimension of, let’s say 16×16 Km, allowing you to work on a smaller scale. You will then have to drag your working Extent around to work on other areas.

Thank you, you’ve alleviated a lot of my concerns. I need to do research on the Extents you mention. Appreciate it!

1 Like