Rendering tool wanted

Hello.
I apologize if this question has been already answered, I didn’t find it.
So here is my problem.
I used to render (some 15 years ago or more) my WM terrains in Terragen. Then, for some reasons, I left off this actvity - and now I’d like to restart. Since I haven’t Terragen at hand anymore, how do I render the landscapes like then? That is, how can I generate a printable artwork? Is the current release of WM able to render landscapes? If not, which is the most suitable rendering software today in your opinion? Do some of you render landscapes (to print or just to enjoy the view) and how?
Thanks a lot since now.

World Machine doesn’t intend to be a renderer. The latest version includes some fancier lighting in the viewports, etc, but is not designed to create finished output.

This is not my specialty, so perhaps other people have some good suggestions for you here. Terragen certainly still exists, and Vue is popular as well.

1 Like

@sergio.s Hey there! For rendering your terrains, all the older options still exist. There’s free Blender, Terragen, Vue (rental only), and every other 3D content creation program on the planet. Workflows differ for different programs, so just choose one and run with it. Still very few “scenery generators” sadly, only ones I know are Vue and Terragen.

I’d recommend either Blender, or Terragen, depending on your budget. Both are easy to grasp, and get to a final frame very fast (beginner friendly). There’s also Clarisse IFX, but it’s expensive, and a bit on the advanced side. Aside from that, any 3D content creation suite you have access to would be able to import some kind of data from your wm project.

1 Like

Seconding that Terragen is my program of choice. I used Vue a long time ago when it still have Cinema 4D integration, but last I saw that doesn’t exist anymore, and I found their texturing system to be very confusing. I may give the newer versions a try someday just to see where it is.
Clarisse IFX has, I believe, a relatively unlimited “learning” edition where it’s completely free while you get to know the software, though I haven’t personally tried it, so I can’t say if it’s recommended or not.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your fast replies!

1 Like