World machine generated heightmap with planetary curvature

I know this has been repeated many times. But can someone tell me if they have done an aerial shot using a world machine terrain in terragen (or vue). I need to know specifically if someone has done a planetary terrain shot, with world machine generated terrain as the central object. Any hint would be helpful.

No one…??? :? :? :?

Hi there,

Any particular issues you’re running into?

Well I’m just trying to create a planetary scene with a specifically shaped terrain as the object of interest. The scale and curvature needs to be proportional to that of earth. I need to then zoom slowly to ground level and show the scene change it’s setting from icy to hot marshland. I need absolute control on the terrain type and shape, hard to do it procedurally in Vue. I just want to know if this has been done before in terragen or vue or do I have to do it all manually in maya and after effects.

I know that in Terragen at least, the heightfield imported from WM will automatically have planetary curvature applied – so in terms of extra complexity in a zoom-from-orbit scene, the only gotcha is how well your terrain square blends into the procedural terrain that TG uses for the rest of the planet…

How about the heightmap depicting a whole continent?

Any new ideas on that?

I also like to have some way to make a “curved” terrain (see my feature request).

So the basic idea is to import a WM heightfield into TG, project it onto a (small) planet, to get the “rounding”?
This should also be possible in Vue, or is it not?

Please tell me, if there is a workflow to do this…

Cheers!

Hi Paul, thanks for reviving this thread. I finally did the scene in vue. Does your version of vue has spherical scene feature?

My experience says that navigating camera in vue planetery scene is one of a kind headache, specially for animation. Terragen is built from the ground up around a full planet rendering. But since you own only vue, check if in your options you have this tab in File/options.

Hey, yes I got the Option in my Vue version. I got terragen 2 and 3 Demo (can not render Full quality)

Can you Point out, how to do this? (Terragen and Vue)

I am thinking about bending a 8k heightfield (.ter) into a Dome (half a Planet) or something like that…
Maybe L3DT is also capable of doing it…

Best Regards

In vue you have to convert your scene to spherical scene with planetary terrain. Then import your terrain and scale the standard terrain to appropriate scale.

Terragen adds the terrain to a full planet by default. You have to set scene scale in wm itself (world extents dialogue). Then make sure your terrain borders are zero in wm, and export as high precision .ter file. Import in terragen as a heightfield.